Saturday 26 April 2014

Detox Water | Lemon Water

I've always been interested in health and fitness and over the past few months I've been seeing more and more about healthy living and felt that I wanted to make some changes to my lifestyle. I am currently studying for my exams so can't commit to a full on workout regime at the gym (though I am doing so small home workouts) but thought that I could make some small changes in my diet.

The first thing I have done is looked into what Detox Waters are all about. They follow the same idea as Detox Diets; flushing away the bad toxins with added health benefits. I'm going to try and drink 3 a week.

(not my picture) http://www.pinterest.com/pin/116108496615909907/


This week I tried a Lemon Water. I simply added half a sliced lemon to my bottle of water and drank it over the course of a couple hours (though it is recommended to drink it when you wake up). Before I did this, I looked up what makes lemons so good as I think it's all very well hearing it has benefits but you need to know why they're so good.

Lemons are packed with nutrients - Vitamin B & C, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and fibre. These are the things that are responsible for lemons benefits. 

Aids Digestion - this equally means it helps to prevent indigestion: the horrible thing that makes you bloat, burp and cause heartburn.
WHY: 1) it helps to loosen toxins in the digestive track 2) it gives the liver a boost in producing bile which is a vital acid in digestion

Strengthens Immune System - they're excellent at curing colds.
WHY: the Vitamin C in the lemon helps to prevent the body suffering from immune system deficiencies

Relieves Stress - enhances your mood hence reducing depression and anxiety.
WHY: when your Vitamin C levels drop you become stressed, lemons revive this

Clears Skin - keeps your skin radiant and blemish free AND prevents wrinkles and acne
WHY: 1) antioxidants (e.g. the Vitamin C) decrease blemishes 2) its alkali pH helps to kill some of the acne causing bacteria

Cleanses System - flushes out bad toxins
WHY: enhances enzyme production which in turn stimulates the liver which flushes away the unwanted substances 2) lemon acts a diuretic which means it increases the rate at which the body removes fluid

Aid Weight Loss - stops snacking and over eating
WHY: contains pectin fibre which fights hunger cravings


I found I was experiencing the benefits of lemon water even after the first time I drank it. Normally when I wake up, I feel I have a 'good stomach' (as good as it gets for me at the moment anyhow!) but after eating my second meal I appear bloated. However, when I drank this throughout the day, I hardly bloated at all and my stomach maintained its 'goodness'. I also noted I was slightly more energetic with less blemished skin. It's definitely going to be a change in my diet it that sticks and something I highly recommend to all of you!


2 comments:

  1. Love lemon waters! didn't know it had so much benefits

    http://emicphany.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it makes a difference to just plain water and it's just an added benefit that it's so good for you!

      Delete